Sunday, July 21, 2013

So You Want a Cartilage Piercing?

So you want a cartilage piercing?


Many people are wanting to try something new, switch up their style a little bit. A tattoo is too bold (and possibly too painful?), and a tongue piercing would probably make you faint. Yet a simple lobe piercing is a bit bland, yes? A cartilage piercing is definitely what you're looking for. Possible to hide, possible to show as well without getting strange looks.

My experience with cartilage piercings is a bit narrow. I've had two cartilage piercings, and let me tell you, I absolutely love them! They're so cute, and if needed, I can simply take them out and hide with them without getting so much as a look in my direction. I can put a simple ball-like piercing in, or I can go all out and get styled earrings(dove, lady bug, sun flower, etc.). They are super easy to take care of, and pretty un-noticeable if need be.

Piercing & Pain

First to know, is the piercing and pain. When I got mine done, both were done with a gun. I know there are many skeptics out there, and there is a chance of destroying your ear, but I've NEVER had that happen. My piercings have never gotten infected or had any kind of problems. The most was slightly red and tingly right after I got the piercings, and later on a mild throb if I bumped it. This is all totally normal. If you're not careful, they can still tingle from time to time.
Now, as for pain, it's on based on the person. I know you've probably heard that similar line a million and one times, but it's true! For me, it was more of a being able to feel it go in, rather than pain. I had gotten my second lobe piercing the same day, so it was very easy to compare. At the most, you should feel a sharp pinch, that will tingle afterwards. Sometimes one ear may sting a bit more than the other. This happened to me, with my left stinging a bit more than my right. I'd have to say, on a scale of 1-10, mine would probably be a 3-4. However I have read other blogs that claim their pain was a 5-6. So once again, it really does depend on your pain tolerance.

Cleaning
 
Clean, Clean, Clean! This is the most important( and really only) thing you must do when you get ANY piercing. Infections do happen, whether we wish to acknowledge them or not. In some cases, the business you get your piercing from will give you some cleaning liquid to use when you clean your piercing. Sometime say 3 times a day, others say 2. Personally, I clean whenever I finish exercise or work. Sweat can definitely help in infecting your hole(s). I feel like as long as you do it once a day, you're fine. Make sure to always twist your earrings too. When I got my first lobes pierced, I never twisted the backs and kept them too close to my ear, which caused my ear to actually grow over the earrings themselves. This is critical. Not only will they have to be yanked out, but you will have to wait for your holes to grow over, and then start over again, which isn't fun.
 
 
Style & Enjoy
 
After 8-12 weeks, you can finally switch out your piercing, though you will have to keep one in at all times. So switch it up! You can go for a cute butterfly earring, a dangle piercing, or a hoop earring. It'd pretty fun to do, you can even have an earring that connects your lobe to your cartilage. Have fun, enjoy your piercing(s)!




No comments:

Post a Comment